Article ID 1891 Article Title ERROR: Unable to Load Daemon (WINERR=2) Article URL http://www.dataaccess.com/kbasepublic/KBPrint.asp?ArticleID=1891 KBase Category Visual DataFlex Date Created 10/14/2003 Last Edit Date 06/04/2010
The DATAFLEX CRITICAL ERROR stop box with the error message "Unable to Load Daemon (WINERR=2)" is displayed followed by "User count exceeded for this license". How do I correct this problem?
WINERR=2 is a Windows error and it means "File not found".
That error may be displayed for various reasons:
- If you have the wrong version of the runtime file (vdfvm?.dll -- e.g. vdfvm9.dll) being found before the correct version, i.e vdfvm8.dll is being found before vdfvm9.dll when you are trying to run the IDE from VDF9. In this case, the error could be displayed when trying to run any of the Visual DataFlex utilities (IDE, Database Builder, Database Explorer, etc.)
- There is indeed a VDF file missing. You should be able to reinstall VDF and get all the pieces missing
- There is a Windows file missing. Maybe a file needed by VDF is not present in your system(e.g. PSAPI.dll -- see the link to KBase 1650).
- The PATH environment variable is too long (greater than 255) and some directories are not really being searched
- A copy of dfrun/dfruncon.exe is in a directory without dfdaemon.exe (e.g. in the data directory)
Note: You can also see the message "Cannot start DFDAEMON" WINERR=2 in this case
- The dfdaemon.exe being found is the from a different version of DataFlex
After checking all those items, you should make sure the License files (termlist.cfg and <serial#>.DFR) are found, are for the right version and are not ReadOnly. You can run Register.exe from your revision of Visual DataFlex (a link to it should be in the Start menu | Visual DataFlex | Utilities | Register Visual DataFlex AND the exe will be in the Visual DataFlex Bin directory) to check where the license files are being read from (it displays that location at the bottom of the screen).
Also, check if there are no directories (containing multiple registration files - DFR or termlist.cfg) in your PATH environment variable.
Company: Data Access Worldwide
Web Site: http://www.dataaccess.com
Links Related to this Article
DAW Knowledge Base article 1626: INFO: Resetting user count
DAW Knowledge Base article 1650: ERROR: Critical Errors After Registering Visual DataFlex 8.2
DAW Knowledge Base article 556: INFO: Lockups on startup for console mode runtime
DAW Knowledge Base article 963: ERROR: Unable to initalize user count
Email this Article
Email this Article to a Colleague
Send Feedback on this Article to Data Access Worldwide
Copyright ©2018 Data Access Corporation. All rights reserved.
The information provided in the Data Access Technical Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Data Access Corporation disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Data Access Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Data Access Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.